Friday, September 4, 2009

Could this be Empty Nest Syndrome?

Lately, the smallest reminders of my children as children brings tears to my eyes and causes my chest to hurt and my throat to feel as though there is a lump in it. There is no escaping these small reminders. Anyone who knows me understands my obsession with organization and lately I have been trying to eliminate unnecessary stuff I have been holding on to. Maybe this is not a good time but I am unemployed and want to make the most of this time by getting rid of clutter and making money by selling on Craigslist or Ebay. Today I pulled out a box of old CD's and was sorting through them when I came across the soundtrack for the Disney movie Tarzan. I instantly began to cry as memories of my kids and I singing and dancing to the CD came to mind. When I am out shopping and see a mother disciplining her child I try to tell myself see Jen all that chaos is over and now you have the freedom to shop without the pressure of "mommy I want this" or the stress of "I need to use the bathroom, I am hungry, When are we going home?" However, none of that works for me as I still get emotional, teary eyed and confused at where the time has gone. I feel like there is so much I wanted to do and experience with my kids and never got to. Sometimes I get upset with myself because I am upset. Eighteen years ago I was turning twenty-two and giving birth to my third and last child with excitement at the fact that I would be forty years old and my baby would be eighteen. Over the past eighteen years as I met women who traveled and experienced life before children I would think that's okay because I will be forty and all of my kids grown and I can travel and experience life at that point. Now here I am turning forty and my baby turning eighteen and all I can do is feel empty and sad. My kids practically grew up with me, they are my life and although I am proud of their achievements I want them back as my adorable, cute pain in the butt little kids.

2 comments:

Whitney said...

Aww Mom, don't be sad. I wish we could go back to be kids too, calling you every five minutes after we got home from school to see when you were coming home and what was for dinner!

By the way, I think when we go to the mall with Sean and Chelsea we still have to deal with "I need to use the bathroom, I am hungry, When are we going home?" Sean has to go the bathroom, I am always hungry and Chelsea always wants to know when we are leaving! Hahaha... maybe we haven't grown up all that much.

Home-style Hodepodge said...

ha that's totally true, whitney!

I miss being a kid :(

We should make a time machine.

Pink Roses in the Backyard

Pink Roses in the Backyard

Summer in the Backyard

Summer in the Backyard
Sparky happy outside in the summer. What a change from an Arizona summer!

Fall Colors in the Backyard.

Fall Colors in the Backyard.