Saturday, September 5, 2009

A Taste of Colorado

Denver's Hard Rock Cafe on the 16th Street Mall down the street from the Civic Center

Scott and I have been in Colorado for over two years now and this weekend is our third Labor Day Weekend here. Every year we hear about this "must do" event in downtown Denver called "A Taste of Colorado". Today we decided what the heck let's jump on the light rail and go check it out. During our 20 minute ride light rail ride to downtown Denver Scott revealed to me that he had never been to downtown other than the Pepsi Arena for a Suns vs. Nuggets game with Sean. As we entered the event we were shocked by the size and amount of people there. I heard all of the mountain towns would be crowded this weekend too, where do all the people come from?

Colorado State Capitol behind the crowd!

At the event there were numerous food, beverage, arts and crafts booths although, purchasing food or drinks required tickets and those tickets are bought with cash only! We only had $10 cash so we headed to one of the many ATM's that were set up around the event. I swiped my card entered my pin and the power was disconnected. I freaked out and waited for the machine to reboot and swiped my card, entered my pin and requested cash and the machine displayed "transaction canceled" Scott and I looked at each other and thought maybe we are not meant to have cash? We decided to inch our way through the crowd and head out to the 16th Street Mall where there was more breathing room.

16th Street Mall in Downtown Denver

After a nice walk up and down the mall and an uncrowded bite to eat, we thought maybe the crowds had died down and we could attempt heading back into the event. Whatever!

The crowds were worse and more drunk. I could not believe the lines for beer! Not that it mattered to us because neither of us wanted one. We only had $10 in tickets and the lines were so crazy we only bought a coffee and samples of cupcakes. We walked around the open areas away from the food and enjoyed the beautiful weather, scenery and music. I wish we could have sampled all the great food we smelled. Note to self.......next time try to come earlier in the day and bring cash!

A pleasant break from the crowd!

2 comments:

Whitney said...

Did you take all these pics mom? It looks so fun! Like something I would see on the Travel Channel!

Jen said...

Yes I took a crazy number of pictures. I love digital cameras because I don't worry about wasting a picture. We did have a good time!

Pink Roses in the Backyard

Pink Roses in the Backyard

Summer in the Backyard

Summer in the Backyard
Sparky happy outside in the summer. What a change from an Arizona summer!

Fall Colors in the Backyard.

Fall Colors in the Backyard.