Saturday, January 2, 2010

New Decade Resolutions?

I have never been one to make New Year's resolutions, although when I hear everyone discussing their own I often contemplate what I mine would be.  Most New Year's resolutions involve lifestyle changes such as quitting a bad habit or starting a good one.  Others involve improving one's financial status by eliminating debt, making more money or becoming more educated.

This week I heard the term "New Decade Resolutions" and was forced to ponder this one. Looking forward to the year 2020 seems so distant, however looking back to the drama of Y2K doesn't seem so long ago. Ten years so far and yet so close.  What kind of a resolution does one make for the decade?

With my kids all growing up and moving on with their lives, added to the loss of a job I hated, I have stopped for the first time to seriously analyze my lifestyle and the things I would like to change. For over a year now I have been critically thinking about and putting my new lifestyle plan into action.  I want to say that in 2020 I am still following my plan, enjoying life, grandchildren and making a difference in the lives of my students.

Lifestyle Plan
1. Avoid Illness and PharmaceuticalsStress Management, Healthy Food Choices and Exercise.
2. Stress Management: Eat healthy, exercise and have a hobby
3. Healthy Food Choices: Reduce sugars, fat and meat, eliminate high fructose corn syrup and other "suspicious" ingredients.  Eat more fruits, vegetables and fish.
4. Exercise: Park far away, take the stairs, walk the dogs on the HR trails daily, hike the Rockies often
5. Meaningful Career (money not as important):  I will finish my Master's Degree in Elementary Education in April.
6. That's nice for the Jones, but it's not for me:  I don't care about having the nicest, latest, most trendy things.  I am concerned with comfort, safety and quality.  People matter the most, not things.

No comments:

Pink Roses in the Backyard

Pink Roses in the Backyard

Summer in the Backyard

Summer in the Backyard
Sparky happy outside in the summer. What a change from an Arizona summer!

Fall Colors in the Backyard.

Fall Colors in the Backyard.